Help: Questions about finding and downloading report templates
Questions about finding and downloading form templates
Questions about customizing form templates
Questions about finding and downloading report templates
Q: How do I find and download a report template?
A: To find a report template:
- On the left of the page, choose "Report" in the template drop-down list.
- Choose an industry that you are interested in, or keep the default value, "All Industries", so that the search is not restricted to any particular industry. (Be sure to look at reports that were designed for other industries--you may like those too.)
- Choose the type of report you are interested in, or keep the default value, "All Types", so that the search is not restricted to any particular type of report."
- Enter an optional search term. You may leave this field empty or use it to search for reports that interest you.
- Click Search to get a list of matching templates.
- You will be presented with search results showing a list of reports. You can download the report by clicking the Download link.
- If you see a File Download dialog, click Save. In the Save As dialog, be sure to keep the .QBR extension in the filename of the template.
Read the next section about how to use Report templates from within QuickBooks.
Q: How do I use report templates from within QuickBooks?
A: Once you have downloaded a template, you still need to import it into QuickBooks. Follow these steps:
To use a template you have imported, simply display your Memorized Report list, select the name of the report, and click Generate Report.
- In QuickBooks, display the Memorized Report list.
- Choose Import Template from the Memorized Report menu button.
- Select the filename of the report template you want to import. The file, which has a .QBR most likely will be in your QuickBooks directory. If it is not, go to the drive and folder where you downloaded the template.
- Click Open.
- Assign a different name to the report if you wish. If you want the report to be in one of your existing memorized report groups, select the "Save in Memorized Report Group" checkbox and select the group you want from the drop-down list.
- Click OK.
Q: Will all the report templates work with my data?
A: Not necessarily. Some of the templates make assumptions on how you have set up your company file. For example, templates for payroll reports assume that payroll is turned on in QuickBooks and that you have been using QuickBooks—or one of the QuickBooks payroll services—to manage your payroll. If this is not the case, a payroll report template can't provide meaningful reports.
The "Usage Assumptions" section for each report template tells you what the report assumes about your company file. If a report seems useful to you but your company file isn't completely set up for the report, consider making changes to your company data and then downloading the template. For example, if a report assumes that you use class tracking in QuickBooks to categorize transactions in a certain way, you might want to set up those classes and then assign them to transactions in your company file.
Q: What if a report template would be even better for me if it had slight changes?
A: Download the template, import it into QuickBooks, and make the changes yourself.
- In QuickBooks, display your Memorized Report list and run the report.
- Modify the report as needed. Examples of changes you could make include changing the date range, changing the filter settings, adding different columns to the report, removing columns from the report, or changing the report's title. For information on how to make these types of changes, see the topics for "filtering reports" and "report customization" in QuickBooks Help.
- When the report is customized to your satisfaction, click Memorize so you can reuse it with your new settings.
Q: My type of business isn't listed. Are there any report templates I can use?
A: Yes. Many of the templates provide reports that are useful to a broad variety of businesses. To find these, click All Industries on the report templates home page.
Also, check this Web Site periodically for new report templates. You may find that someone has created a report template that is perfect for one of your reporting needs.
Q: Who creates the report templates?
A: QuickBooks users like yourself. Members of the QuickBooks development team review all new template submittals for accuracy and usefulness before making them available at this Web Site.
Q: I have a great report I'd like to share with other QuickBooks users. How can I do this?
A: There are two ways you can share a report: by exporting it, or by submitting a template suggestion to this Web Site. To export a report, you must have QuickBooks Premier 2002 or QuickBooks Premier 2002: Accountant Edition. Users who import the report must have QuickBooks Basic 2002, Pro 2002, Premier 2002 or Premier 2002: Accountant Edition. To export a report, do the following:
- Create the report, making sure that it doesn't have any filter settings that would be too restrictive for other users. For example if your report is filtered to show particular account names, other users won't have those account names in their company files. Use instead broad inclusive filters such as "All balance sheet accounts" or "All vendors" that will work with any company file.
- Memorize the report.
- Display the Memorized Report list.
- Select the report you want to export.
- Choose Export Template from the Memorized Report menu button.
- (Optional) Change the filename shown for the export file. (Be sure to keep the .QBR extension, however.)
- Select the drive and folder where you want to save the file.
- Click Save.
- Make the file available to other users, either by telling them where it is (if you saved it to a network drive) or by giving them a disk (if you saved it to a removable disk).
| Tell Us